Business and Operations encompasses the central operational functions of the University, with a dedicated team of over 1,100 staff members committed to providing world class foundational services that support, sustain and inspire success at Pitt. This foundational strength allows students to thrive, growing our future leaders, enables our faculty members in sharing insights and making new discoveries that will change the world and propels staff members forward, ensuring our top-ranked University continues to flourish.
Central Business and Operations Functions to advance the University’s mission:
- Office of Business and Auxiliary Services – Leads foundational business services across the University including dining, housing, transportation and mobility, conference services, printing, mailing, surplus property services, the University Stores and more, committed to providing superior customer service in all that they do.
- Office of Facilities Management – Oversees all facilities maintenance and operations including building, grounds maintenance and custodial services, as well as utilities and capital and facilities project management responsibilities.
- Office of Human Resources - Recruits, develops, retains, and supports a diverse and talented workforce while partnering in maintaining a productive, dynamic, and inclusive work environment. Serves as a center of excellence in providing foundational support for advancing the University's mission by helping make Pitt an outstanding place to work, grow, and thrive.
- Office of Planning, Design and Real Estate – Manages all areas of property and space at the University. Core services include strategic development and advancement of the campus master plan, real estate and leasing portfolio management, facilities design and space planning services.
- Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management – Protects the safety and well-being of the Pitt community with a team of over 100 commissioned Pitt Police officers, 25 safety professionals in environmental health and safety, and other professionals in emergency planning and integrated security that are on duty 24/7, and oversee safety programs on all Pitt campuses.
- Office of Sustainability – Heads all aspects of sustainability for the University, including strategic plan development, implementation, partnerships, and analytics, continuing to advance Pitt as a global sustainability leader balancing equity, environment, and economics.
Five core Business and Operations objectives support the University’s strategic plan:
- Effectively oversee the University’s operations infrastructure to address current and future needs
- Protect the health and safety of the campus community
- Provide superior guest service to students, faculty, staff and visitors, serving as University ambassadors
- Pursue optimal solutions through creative ideas and innovative, emerging technologies
- Demonstrate sustainability leadership, responsibly managing resources in everything we do
These strategic objectives are accomplished with an unwavering commitment to our foundational values:
- Advance excellence
- Act with integrity to do the right thing, every time
- Treat others with respect
- Take ownership and accountability for our work
- Care about and invest our time in the communities we serve
- While having fun, making a positive impact at Pitt!